www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> Patients about the stitch method and operation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda

PostPosted: 18.01.2006 16:47    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Merck,

I am 16 years old and would like to have otoplasty. Can you explain to me the procedure of the operation and the possible risks?

Best regards,
Linda
Dr. Merck/Frau Op de Hipt

PostPosted: 19.01.2006 10:49    Post subject: Procedure, registration etc. Reply with quote

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your interest.

Here is the answer to your question:
The consultation, examination and operation can be done all in one day. However, you also have the possibilty to attend the 1-hour informational talk which Dr. Merck has each day before the operations. The informational talk is free and non-binding. You can learn about the stitch method in detail there and see the comparisons to the traditional methods. After the talk, you have the opportunity to speak with Dr. Merck (or one of the other excellent doctors in his team) about a few personal things. If you already know that you would like to have the operation, you may ? as is custom ? receive an appointment for a consultation with an operation following right after that. In both cases, please make an appointment. A check-up after the operation at our clinic is not necessary. You can go back home after the operation, but you are not allowed to drive. You can receive a ride home or go by train or plane. If you would like an appointment for the operation please contact us. We need to know your exact address and your date of birth.

Organisational procedure:
If you have registered for an operation with the Dr. Merck Stitch Method, you come to us on the day of the operation at 8.45 a.m. for photo documentation. After that, there is an informational talk with Dr. Merck finishing between 10.30 and 11 a.m. The morning operation starts at 11 o'clock and ends about 1 and 1.30 p.m. The afternoon operation starts at about 2.30 p.m. and ends between 4.30 and 5 p.m. We cannot exclude delays, so please keep this in mind for your journey back home with the train or plane. If your operation is scheduled in the afternoon, please be there at 8.45 a.m., too. During the time until your operation you can go shopping, have lunch and have a coffee. One hour before your operation we will apply the ointment on your ears, which contains a surface anaesthetic. Please bring a headband with you, that you can wear after the application of the ointment. That way you have the possibility of going for a walk during the time the ointment comes into effect and you do not have to sit in our waiting room.

I hope this answers your questions.
Best regards,
Heidi Op de Hipt
Linda

PostPosted: 19.01.2006 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering me.
I've got another question: My ears are not identical. The left one is protruding a lot more than the right one; the right one seems to have more cartilage (the left one seems empty).
Can the operation be done at all? I would like to have two ears that look the same.

Yours,
Linda
Dr. merck

PostPosted: 23.01.2006 08:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Linda,

It's not a problem to operate on two differently built and differently protruding ears in one session. With the empty ear, you probably mean that the ear hasn't got an antihelix fold, but is in a way a hollow bowl. During the stitch method, a new fold will be formed so that the ear does not look empty anymore. I suggest you send some photos via e-mail: one from the front, one from the side, and one from the back. Then I will be able to give you a more precise answer.

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> Patients about the stitch method and operation All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: