www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

telephone-ear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmer3

PostPosted: 30.04.2006 13:31    Post subject: telephone-ear Reply with quote

Can the "stitch method" result in a "telephone-ear", in which the upper part or the inferior one are far from the head, while the center of the ear is quite attached to the head?

I would like to know this, because my plastic surgeon told me that the "telephone-ear" is nearly a normal consequence of operations which treat only the anthelix without reducing concha (in his opinion, in my case, the more important problem of my ears is the hypertrophic concha, and not the absence of anthelix)

Thanks a lot for your answer,
best regards
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 04.05.2006 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Elmar3,

The "stitch method" cannot result in a "telephone-ear". Although this can sometimes happen with the traditional method. The information from your plastic surgeon is totally wrong, and shows that he 1. has no idea of ear anatomy and
2. he doesn't understand the principle or effect of my method. I regret that these kinds of doctors exist. They are the ones who make our patients needlessly insecure and who bring a great method into a false light.

Kind regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
elmer3

PostPosted: 05.05.2006 13:03    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Dr. Merck wrote:
Dear Elmar3,

The "stitch method" cannot result in a "telephone-ear". Although this can sometimes happen with the traditional method. The information from your plastic surgeon is totally wrong, and shows that he 1. has no idea of ear anatomy and 2. he doesn't understand the principle or effect of my method. I regret that these kinds of doctors exist. They are the ones who make our patients needlessly insecure and who bring a great method into a false light.

Kind regards
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck

Thanks a lot for your answer.
So, when the problem of the ear is the hypertrophic concha and not the absence of anthelix (this is the "diagnosis" made by my plastic surgeon but it's probably wrong, as you have just told), the stitch method works well, even if it treats only the anthelix without reducing directly the "concha" ?
Thank you again,
Kind regards
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 07.05.2006 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Elmer3,

Yes, exactly. I cannot reduce the size of an ear with the stitch method, but it is often observed that ears appear smaller when they lie closer to the head. In some exceptional cases, if demanded by the anatomical situation, it's necessary to correct a large "Cavum conchae", which involves either a reduction of the anthelix by dystopia towards the auditory canal or a lowering of a very prominent anthelix. More detailed explanations are too complicated here. We can discuss it if you come to my clinic, and then I can also take a look at your ears. Just trust me and my expert knowledge.

Kind regards
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: