www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about payment of otoplasty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrea

PostPosted: 06.01.2006 13:28    Post subject: Question about payment of otoplasty Reply with quote

Hello!
My son (age 3) has unfortunately inherited his protruding ears from my father, who was teased very badly about it in his youth and even today as a pensioner. I want to spare my son all of this and want him to have his ears corrected.......

I have read a few negative things about the common method, but now I've found your method and it sounds very good to me. I have one question:

Is this operation paid by the national health service for a child of my son's age? if not, is it possible to pay by instalments?

Thank you in advance for answering my question.

Yours,
Andrea
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 06.01.2006 13:44    Post subject: Financing the costs of the operation Reply with quote

Dear Andrea,

Indeed, a lot of protruding ears are inherited. If I've understood you correctly, your son is only three years old. I'd recommend waiting till he's five before having otoplasty, because he will need to have anaesthesia. Although the risks that are associated with today's modern anaesthesia are negligible, there is still the basic rule that the risk is less the older the child is. And the ear operation is not a vital operation that has to take place as soon as possible.

I've given back my licence to the national health service to be able to meet the high demand for operations of protruding ears with the method I developed. Although my stitch method is recognised by the national health service, they increasingly refuse to pay the costs.
Of course the reason for this is that their funds are limited. Nevertheless, I do not understand it, because an operation with the traditional method is, in the long run, a lot more expensive, with costs for hospital stays and check-ups that you do not have with my method. If you are insured with a statutory health insurance company, they will not pay for the operation. If you are insured with a private insurance company, they pay at least part of it. But you will have to check with them first.

If you have problems with the payment, financing it via a bank would be conceivable; just bring us the confirmation from your bank. Paying it in instalments is not possible, I am afraid, because of the high amount of administrative work necessary.

Best regards,

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Andrea

PostPosted: 06.01.2006 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

yes, my dad was able to cope with it well, but as I know how cruel children can be, I really want my son to have it done...

Thank you for answering my questions :]

In that case I am going to wait another 2 years. My son had to go through two general anaesthesia during two dental operations and he coped with it very well (better than we thought).

Will an additional health insurance pay for the operation then? (I already thought that the statutory health insurance doesn't pay, they didn't pay for my son's dental operations, either.)

Are the costs the same for children as they are for adults?!

Are check-up treatments necessary?

Yours,
Andrea
Dr.Merck

PostPosted: 06.01.2006 16:26    Post subject: Costs for stitch method for a child Reply with quote

Dear Andrea,

Since today is a holiday, I am still sitting at the computer and able to answer your additional questions right away.

The operational costs are the same for children and for adults since the amount of work is the same. But in addition to this are the costs for the anaesthesist. At the moment, these are approx. 400 Euros. You can call our institute any time at +49 7531 915310 and ask about the details.

Whether the costs are paid by an additional health insurance or not depends on which insurance you have. Ask them whether they will pay for the operation at a later stage. If I were you, I would make this as a condition for taking out the insurance.

Best regards,

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 05.10.2012 11:09    Post subject: Re: Costs for stitch method for a child Reply with quote

Dr.Merck wrote:
Dear Andrea,

Since today is a holiday, I am still sitting at the computer and able to answer your additional questions right away.

The operational costs are the same for children and for adults since the amount of work is the same. But in addition to this are the costs for the anaesthesist. At the moment, these are approx. 400 Euros. You can call our clinic any time at +49 7531 915310 and ask about the details.

Whether the costs are paid by an additional health insurance or not depends on which insurance you have. Ask them whether they will pay for the operation at a later stage. If I were you, I would make this as a condition for taking out the insurance.

Best regards,

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: