www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operated ears protrude again. Stitch method possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonym

PostPosted: 17.12.2005 13:27    Post subject: Operated ears protrude again. Stitch method possible? Reply with quote

I've had otoplasty 3 times with the traditional method. Every time my ears protruded again afterwards. I am totally frustrated. In fact I'm fed up with otoplasty. I would only do it again with the stitch method, if this really is so simple. Is it possible to operate on an ear that has been operated on so often before? And if so, won't I have too many threads in my ear afterwards?
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 19.12.2005 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

With the stitch method, there is no problem in operating on ears that have been unsuccessfully operated on before. It does not matter whether they have been operated on once or several times. We do, however, ask you to send us photos of the ears by email before your appointment (from the front, back and sides).

There are no problems with the stitches. The traditional methods often use absorbable threads, meaning that they disappear and are no longer there.

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck

PostPosted: 14.01.2006 16:10    Post subject: Already have prolene threads,maybe even Nylon ones, in ear Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Merck,

First of all I want to thank you for setting up this forum where it is possible to contact you directly. I think it is long overdue in view of the comments on www.med1.de or lifeline etc.

A few words about my case.
Several years ago I had a correction with a disappointing result. The consequences of the operation were torturous. For almost 2 years I did not have any feeling in my ears. Only as the ears gradually started protruding again, did the feeling slowly return to my ears. However, for almost 5 to 6 years afterwards the ears were extremely sensitive in some places. Now I am actually free of pain, but unfortunately my ears are protruding again and sometimes I have a foreign-body feeling there.That's why I went to see my ENT doctor again and he told me the prolene threads were the reason for this.

If you take a look at my ears you'll see that at the bottom they are close to the head and at the top they are protruding. At the uppermost part, between ear and skull, there is a thread or something similar (the ENT doctor says this is the inner suture), which is visible for a length of 1 cm along the back of the ear.That means it lies exactly between the skin and the cartilage.
In order for the ears to look good, the upper part would have to be brought 6-7 mm closer to the skull.

My questions regarding the applicability of your method in my case are:

1. Would you recommend your method for my situation, as described above, or would this actually be something for the old methods? (i.e. remove the old threads first?)

2. Is the work and the number of threads you use virtually always the same or does this vary?

3. What about the durability of prolene threads? Are there any studies? (My threads are 14 years old now.)

4. Im my case the ears would have to positioned 7 mm closer to the head. Is the relatively small distance to be corrected an advantage or a disadvantage for the success of your method?

5. I am employed and of course I don't want anyone to notice a possible operation by swellings or similar things. Shortly after Mr Küblöck's operation ( one of your patients), I saw a photo of his ears in the newspaper and they looked rather red and bruised. Is this the same for all patients or was this due to Mr Küblböck's extremely thick cartilage?

Perhaps you could answer my questions soon.
Thank you!
Confused Confused
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 14.01.2006 19:07    Post subject: Operated ear with prolene or nylon Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

Regardless of whether your ears have been operated on with prolene or nylon as you say, these threads needn't be removed unless they rise to the surface of the skin, as in this case they could cause an inflammation.
Your long-lasting complaints after the operation hint at the fact that there actually might be a thread exposed. We could clarify this quickly with an examination by me, which would be free.

Regarding your questions:

1: I can operate on any ear that has been operated on before, no matter which method or which threads have been used. Of course I only operate where necessary. You can co-determine and check the effect and amount of correction in a hand-held mirror during the operation. I remove old threads, as I said, if they stick out or are otherwise disturbing in any way. I do not recommend the traditional method as a solution to your problems.

2: The number of new threads is not always the same. This depends on the patient and is decided on during the operation. Normally there are 4 to 5 separately placed small threads of 1.5 cm in length.

3: The prolene I use does not age. It stays in the ear forever. This is backed up by many studies and medical experience. Prolene is used by vascular surgeons because of its high tolerance. In hernia operations a net made from prolene is used to close the fracture and remains under the skin forever.

4: For the success of my method, it does not matter whether the ear is protruding a little or a lot, and whether it has been operated on before or not.

5: Daniel Küblböck was photographed directly after the operation by a lot of reporters. It's normal that the ears have bruises along the newly formed anthelix fold, depending on how much blood has accidentally accumulated during the placing of the threads. Because the skin is firmly attached to the cartilage beneath it, there can only be very little accumulation of blood here and the bruises are gone one day after the operation. If you have long hair, you are may put it over your ears right after the operation so that no-one can see the bruises. If you have short hair and nobody should see the bruises, you should choose a Friday for your operation. When you go back to work on Monday the bruises will have long gone.

If you have any further questions, please ask. Why don't you send us photos of your ears (one from the front, one from behind, one from the sides)? Or stop by and get a free consultation and examination.

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
K.K

PostPosted: 14.01.2006 20:41    Post subject: Ears operated before Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Merck,

I've been suffering from my ears for a long time now. At the age of 18 I had an operation (now I'm 42),without success. I'll send you two photos of my ears. Can you operate on my ears and my ear lobes with the stitch method? Please send me informational material about your offer, including prices.

Best regards,
K.K.
Dr.Merck

PostPosted: 15.01.2006 16:02    Post subject: Pre-operated ears Reply with quote

Dear Mr. K.K.

I've taken a look at the photos you kindly sent me. Unfortunately they show what poor results the traditional method can have. As far as can be seen in the photos, your ears have edges that are a result of the working of cartilage. With my method such results are not possible because I do not touch the cartilage. Unfortunately I can't remove the edgy deformations with my method. They remain for good.

The earlobe of the right ear is clearly protruding. This is what I can do: bring your right earlobe closer to the head and then correct your left ear to match your right ear. All of this is possible with the stitch method. If you would like to be operated on, please contact Ms Op de Hipt for an appointment on +49 7531 915310. She will also be able to inform you of the costs of an operation.

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
P. and M. D.

PostPosted: 15.01.2006 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sirs

my daughter Mara (7 years old) was operated on 2 years ago with the traditional method. Unfortunately her ears went back to their old position after half a year. Our ENT doctor advised us to repeat the operation during elementary school. Mara is now in the 3rd grade, still suffering from her protruding ears and wants to be operated on again.

We found you on the internet and I would like to know when you would recommend an operation with your method. I'm sure you would have to see Mara's ears personally, but I'd like to know in advance whether she could be operated on with your method at all and if this would be already possible now.

We look forward to receiving your reply.

Best regards,
P.D.
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 16.01.2006 21:23    Post subject: Operated ears protrude again. Stitch method possible? Reply with quote

Dear Mrs. D.

An ear that has been operated on with the traditional method can be operated on again with my method without any problems. The second operation can be done any time after starting school. You may decide when the procedure should be done and contact my secretary for an appointment on +49 7531/915310 or send her an email.

Best regards,

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: