www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Description of your method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 05.02.2006 13:43    Post subject: Description of your method Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Merck,

I'm toying with the idea of having my ears operated on with your method. However, I've had very bad experiences with otoplasty and would therefore like to look at the way your method works in detail. Hence my question: Is there a publication where you describe the whole procedure of your operation or can you post something like that as a download on your homepage?

The reason for this is: A long time ago I had otoplasty without success. Non-resolvable threads were used. I can palpate the threads and where they lie; that's why I want to know and see exactly where they are placed with your method, so that I am sure that the new threads are not placed above the old threads. In addition to that my skin is very thin, unfortunately, in the place where the ear joins the skull (probably because of the scar I have at the skull). I am sure that stitches can't be placed there.

As you can see: I needn't contact you if the stitch has to be placed there. Or is your method so flexible that it is going to work for me?

Thank you
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 05.02.2006 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

Without having seen your ears I can already tell you that I can fix them. Since I have been performing otoplasty with my method (ten years now), I have never had to send a patient home because his/her ears could not be corrected - not even if he or she had had otoplasty with the traditional method and the skin was very thin in some places. Among the patients was one who had been operated on 5 times without success and who had non-absorbable threads in the ear, as you do. By the way, if these threads have lost their holding function or if they are disturbing you, I will remove them and replace them with my threads.
I suggest you contact Ms. Welinsky (Tel. +4975319455831), to get an appointment for an informational consultation which I hold every morning at 9 a.m. This would be free for you. I would have the opportunity to examine your ears and to explain the details of my stitches to you (this is free, as well). I could also show you the ears of my operation nurse, who had otoplasty with my method six years ago (she only had one protruding ear). That way you could compare the two ears and see that you can't tell that an ear with my method has been operated on at all. There aren't any signs of the operation and you can neither see nor feel any threads.

I submitted a paper for publication last year. You can have a look at it when you visit me.

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck

PostPosted: 06.02.2006 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer, I am going to make an appointment.
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 07.02.2006 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend contacting my secretary Ms. Op de Hipt: +49 7531 915310.

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck

PostPosted: 11.02.2006 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Merck,

I have one more question. You say I won't be able to feel / palpate the threads. Which diameter do the threads have? I have had an operation with the traditional method with non-absorbable threads. On the back of my ears you can clearly see it and it has a diameter of, well, a little less than a matchstick, so not very little.

I would like to get rid of this thread. From your experience: If you have to remove a thread before placing a new one, how much longer is the healing time? I suppose the operation gets more complex in that case.
Or, to put it like this, can you remove old threads without cutting?

Thank you
Dr. Merck

PostPosted: 11.02.2006 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Guest,

The threads I use are unbelievably thin, I think the diameter is 0,4mm. Whether the palpable and visible lines you speak of are threads or rather scars, I will only be able to tell when I see your ears. The healing is not delayed by removing the old threads. Very often there are only the smallest incisions needed (2mm).

Best regards,
Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: