www.ears-forum.com
ECS Dr. Merck, Ear Correction System, Constance, Germany
This forum aims at comparing Dr. Merck's stitch method with traditional methods as well as documenting experiences with both kinds of operations.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deep conchal bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdc

PostPosted: 19.09.2006 21:19    Post subject: Deep conchal bowl Reply with quote

Dr. Merck,

I'm very interested in coming and having your surgery done...and I have tried (unsucessfully so far) to contact your secretary about an appointment.

I do, however, have one question.

I have been told by 2 surgeons here in Canada (one Plastic surgeon) and one other ENT surgeon who performs an incisionless otoplasty that I have a deep conchal bowl and I need to have that fixed, in addition to addressing the anti-helical fold.

They have both proposed a type of Furnas operation to attach the bowl to the mastoid fascia.

Is this something that your surgery can address?

I could send you some pictures of my ears if necessary....

Thank-you.
Administrator
Site Admin

PostPosted: 13.10.2006 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jdc

The Furnas operation is not a minimally invasive method, but one of the traditional methods involving the opening of the ear. In my experience, I have seen that this operation is no longer necessary, because with my method the antihelix can be sufficiently folded and, if necessary, the conchal bowl reduced through a repositioning in the direction of the ear opening.

If you like, you may send me photos of your ears by email (from the front, back and sides). Should you decide to have an operation with us, I would however point out that (in rare cases) the prolene threads I use for the procedure can later rise to the surface of the skin. These would then need to be removed to avoid a risk of ear infection or inflammation. Only we can do this, as only we know where the threads are located. For patients in Germany or neighbouring countries (such as the UK), this is not usually a problem. It is a problem for patients with long travel distances (from the U.S. or Canada, for example) who would then need to pay for another flight to our office. In one case (a rare, exceptional case), a patient had to return to us several times to have the different threads removed.

Kind regards,

Priv.Doz.Dr.med.W.Merck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ears-forum.com Forum Index -> General topics All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: